.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, August 18

Best, you've got to be the best. You've got to change the world...

I had a really interesting discussion a couple nights ago about competitiveness. Anyone who knows me knows that I can get a little intense in any competitive situation and the person I was talking to was the same way. What we discussed were the pros and cons of being like this and I think I learned a lot about myself.

cons
The main focus of being competitive is to do your best in everything and to win. The problem is when your life becomes winning. When nothing matters to you but success. You forget about God's real plan for your life and turn to searching for approval in the eyes of man...which is basically how the worlds sees success.

pros
I personally think there's a lot more pros...at least I hope there is! Not that there's anything wrong with not being competitive, it's just who I am. Sometimes when I think about my future I just have such a desire to accomplish so much. Kayla asked me the other day what my worst fear was and I said it was not accomplishing what God has for me. I have such a desire to do my best in everything I do (except school a lot of the time). When I think about marriage and having a family I want so bad to do it so well! Maybe it's not competitiveness exactly, but I'd say it's a side-effect of it. I hope that passion gives me the drive to make it through all the trials God has for me. I hope it will drive me to do greater works than Christ did.

3 Comments:

  • Hey bro...your post caught my attention. While in Namibia this last time, my pastor blew my definition of success out of the water. He said, "Success is determined by results, but by obedience, no matter what." That hit me. I've always judged success by how well things have turned out.

    He went on to share a passage from Isaiah 49:1-7. He basically said that success in God's plan often means that we will suffer (Acts 20:22-24). Isaiah is dealing with this very situation here and is having a hard time finding "success" in it all. It's good stuff.

    By Blogger Joel, at 19/8/05 12:07 AM  

  • edit: "Success IS NOT determined..."

    By Blogger Joel, at 19/8/05 12:07 AM  

  • That was very motivating in a way to change my attitude towrd things and really think about the true meaning behind it all. To know if I'm "competative" to be accepted by man, or if it is me chasing after what God wants.

    By Blogger Kay-luh, at 19/8/05 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home