.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, June 9

The Red Rocket

Yep, that's my car. It is my first and only car and I gotta tell ya, it's getting up there in age. Coming up on 190,000 miles, that 4 Tech engine and all the parts around it require more and more attention. With all this extra time I've been spending with my car I have learned a few things about fixing cars and I thought I would share it with you all so we may all learn from my experiences!

1. If it's not broken, don't fix it. In fact, don't even look at it. And until you're sure, don't waste any money on it. (I broke this rule out of desperation)

2. Start simple with figuring out what's wrong with your car. For instance, make sure there is gas in your tank or that your exhaust is actually making it out of the engine and through the tailpipe. (I despise tailpipes!)

3. If the car still runs the same after you unplug or remove a certain part, either that was just a spare part or it's probably what is broken.

4. If you do need to fix something, you can be sure it will be in the most awkward place on your car. For instance, my fuel filter is located directly above my rear axel, not in the wide open space all around that area, nope, it's smashed in there above the axel.

5. Letting a small problem grow can make it easier to identify the faulty part once it becomes a big problem that no longer allows your car to run...but sometimes not.

6. Kicking your car violently may cause toe damage.

7. Teaching your car to not "have an accident" all over a parking lot is an important thing.

8. Red cars are cool...mine is not...

9. Nothing on a car ever "just slides right off"...especially brake rotors.

10. If your car is old, once you fix one thing, something else will break until you have fixed everything on your car...and then the first thing will break again.

And despite my last marathon of car repairs, I am not done yet! I still have a small, hairline crack in my radiator that is causing way more trouble than it should (although I'm pretty sure it overflowed yesterday because I put too much fluid in it), my ceiling is falling down, and my tailpipe still hangs a little low as my Dad reminds me almost every day. Other than that, she's a beaut.

1 Comments:

  • I'm glad to hear that you are learning a lot about fixing cars; this will prove to be a financially wise choice.

    By the way, I know what you mean about the rotors; I had to take a sledge hammer on mine for about 5 minutes each to get them off.

    By Blogger James McCauley, at 11/6/06 3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home