.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, August 25

Library Age

I have explained my views on this to a few people and most of them seem to not like it for some reason. I know two of them are librarians and most of the rest enjoy reading a lot, but why can't they see this possibility. As an admitted hater of libraries, I admit that this is probably an extreme view, yet still in my opinion, a likely fate for these sanctuaries for books.

I'd give it 15 years before it all really starts to happen, but my theory is that one day, the library as we know it will disappear. Due to the high cost for the government to run these buildings (money that could and should be put towards education) they will be shut down. Many will protest this decision, but with the fast advancement of book indexing such as Google Print, research and book renting can be done online by easily searching book databases.

Not to leave the book aficionados without anything to read, the government funded libraries will become warehouses that people can rent books from using the internet. The books will be mailed to them for free (as the shipping charges will still be far cheaper than paying thousands and thousands of librarians to help you). Of course some usual libraries will remain. Probably university libraries and famous ones like the Library of Congress.

Rest in peace all you librarians...

**update**
As stated by Joel and Emily, books are much easier to read on paper. Yes, I agree and that is why you can order them from the warehouses, duh! All I'm saying is that now we live in a visual society. Cultural stories are no longer told and passed down in folk-tales and poetry. Our culture is predominately passed on through movies now. That is what our generation likes and wants. (Don't get me wrong, I still love music!)

2 Comments:

  • I've been on both sides of the fence. Personally I'd say that to some extent the library of today, heck the library of 10 yrs ago is vastly different now because of the influence of technology. However, 2 things to remember: 1) the government is never ever quick about doing anything, nor will the ancient powers that be close down libraries...public outcry would be too great. 2) As much of a geek as you may be, most people do not like reading online. Almost everyone I've worked for in a highly professional, technologically advanced office, would rather print out a report and review it than read it on their computers. Computers if anything have created more of a necessity for killing the rain forest. Quicker and higher capacity of storage yields more and more books, reports, & information in a printed form...cause people like printed documents.

    At the earliest 30 yrs from now we'll be closer to what you are stating, but still libraries are a cornerstone of a community.

    By Blogger Joel, at 25/8/05 3:28 PM  

  • JUST because you spent 4 hours putting in my CD player, I will agree with you...

    I have no clue what will happen, nor is it all THAT important to me. I love reading and am just as content reading it online or on paper

    By Blogger PapaBob, at 29/8/05 12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home