.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, February 5

Art: The Most Beautiful Form of BS

After a weekend full of Super Bowls™, athletic marathons, and breakdown practicing one thing still dominates my memories: German Requiem by Johannes Brahms. Most of you probably have no idea what that is seeing as how you don't go to a fancy college like I do. German Requiem, or Ein deutsches Requiem, is "a large-scale work for chorus, orchestra, and soloists. 1"Also let it be noted that it is boring!2

Needless to say, orchestras are not my thing. Orchestras paired with enormous choirs are definitely not my thing. At slightly over an hour long, this amazing piece of musical composition (although boring, I still have to admit it is fairly astonishing) has supposedly taken me on a roller coaster of emotional ups and downs, but all I really feel is that this musical marathon should really be cut down to 15 minuets.

I understand why this music is enjoyed by many, but why must my Humanities professor insist that everything "art" is meaningful...to everyone! That requiem means nothing to me except that I could have better spent my Friday night. Maybe Brahm had some deep significant meaning in his piece or maybe he just thought it sounded good. Either way, art should not be something we glorify, it should be something we appreciate. I can't stand the way people always have to make more out of something than it really is. Enjoy art in all forms and appreciate those who are good at making it, but don't turn it into some mystical object that speaks deep into the souls of all human beings.

...plus, everyone knows that rock is the most beautiful form of art ever anyway...

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ein_deutsches_Requiem
2. My brain

2 Comments:

  • I never said that I was proud that I didn't know about cars....I was just saying all you 'other' people needn't belittle me.


    Are you coming to Apex this weekend?!

    By Blogger Em O, at 8/2/07 11:13 PM  

  • i can't believe your friend! i am scarred for life. :(

    By Blogger Kim, at 9/2/07 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home